November 19, 2009
The sixth programme of the Publican Alumni Trust (PAT) Educational Initiatives Programme was a Creative Writing event held for the students of F.G. Minwala Girls Public School.
A report on the proceedings by Javed Jabbar is posted below.
Report by Javed Jabbar
Dear fellow Publicans,
Salaams and greetings.
1. A Creative Writing Event was held at the F.G. Minwala Girls’ Public School, Karachi Cantonment on Thursday, 19th November 2009 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. 21 girl students, 3 from each section of Classes IX and X participated.
2. The aim was to encourage students to think and write from an original and creative viewpoint after being given a choice to choose between 2 subjects: one requiring a reflection of the capacity to remember, and to describe sights and moments already experienced and the other, a subject requiring the use of imagination. The accompanying note is self explanatory.
It was stressed to the students that the aim is to encourage all participants to write creatively and not merely to compete with each other.
3. Alongwith Trustee Mrs. Sabiha Pervaiz and Member, Advisory Council, Ms. Nudrat Alvi, the undersigned introduced the subjects, and the format, to students who participated with keen interest and wanted to continue writing even after 1 p.m. !
4. Essays will be evaluated shortly and the announcement of the prize winners made on 12th December 2009.
The Creative Writing Event for the Boys’ School with subjects different from the ones offered to the girls will be held on 3rd December 2009.
With best wishes,
Encl: as above
Publican Alumni Trust
Creative writing event : for 3 students each from each section of Classes IX & X of
F.G. Minwalla Girls’ Public School, Karachi Cantonment,
19th November 2009
Topics for creative writing : in Urdu or in English
After introducing the choice below of either one of 2 subjects to write about, students will be given about 20 minutes to think about, and
prepare their intended original writing and then be given about 60 minutes to write a minimum of 700 words.
|Option A:||1. Describe a person you know in the following aspects :
|About 200 words
About 50 words
About 200 words
About 200 words
|1. Her or his physical features : e.g. your estimate of his age, height, weight, face, facial features : nose, eyes, ears, hair, general appearance.
e.g. your estimate about his age. Her or his work : at home, or at an office.
2. Her or his personal habits, tastes, likes, dislikes, unusual or usual qualities
3. Any 2 memorable moments you had with this person.
|Option B:||2. Imagine you are walking along a curving road in the mountains of Pakistan. Suddenly, you come upon a valley between the mountains which is very different from what you expected to see.
Describe, in about 700 words :
1. What you see in front of you (about 100 words)
2. as you walk into the valley, do you see any houses, people, animals, trees, birds, or any other sight ? (about 300 to 400 words).
3. your conversation or dialogue with any people you meet ? (about 100 to 150 words)